Wireless bridge

Bret Clark bclark at spectraaccess.com
Fri Jun 19 10:19:14 UTC 2009

Justin Sharp wrote:
> I didn't read through all of the replies to see if this was suggested,
> apologies if it was.
>
> http://www.solectek.com/products.php?prod=sw7k&page=feat
>
> I implemented a PTP link at about 3 miles using these Solectek radios.
> I get 40Mbps consistently with TCP traffic and ~100Mbps UDP. This PTP
> link has literally been up for 3 years (in 2 weeks) without failing. I
> live in a 4 seaons state, so its seen all sorts of weather over those
> years. I have clean line of site down the freeway for what its worth.
> Its natively powered via POE, power injector included. We run all
> sorts of usual business application over this link, including about 30
> simultaneous VOIP channels, and have not had one issue with stability.
> I was also told by the VAR that sold us the product that a city nearby
> (can't remember which one) connects all of its municipal buildings
> with Solectek stuff and runs its VOIP infrastructure over it as well.
>
> We run it in bridged mode with routers on each end, but it does
> support some rudimentary L3 stuff, static routing and RIP.
>
> IIRC, they were not "cheap" (couple of 1k), but for us have definitely
> been much cheaper than private circuits from carriers of comparable
> throughput capacity.
>
> Hope its helpful.
>
> --Justin

I have to say I did a double take on your speed claims. We use Solectek
all over the place and have yet to archived those speeds on any of our
links. Not only that Solectek engineers have told us that at a 108mbps
radio rate realistically you are only going to see only 35mbps  data
rate on link that's just a mile apart; further you go the less bandwidth
you will have.

Other then that, I agree they are nice radios and even include heaters
in them to help maintain temperatures above freezing during winter time
so that ice buildup doesn't cause a problem.

Bret