question about Mark Koster's ARIN presentation

Sandy Murphy sandy at tislabs.com
Thu Jun 18 16:05:20 UTC 2009

This message is sent to the whole nanog list, rather than the
nanog-attendees list, as I'm not sure who would be watching that
list when the conference is over.

I stood up to ask a question at the end of Mark Koster's presentation
yesterday, but before I got to the end of the table, he was being applauded
and leaving the stage.  I must be too short.

The presentation said that ARIN would be doing a lot of work to
improve the IRR.  The last I asked, the ARIN IRR did not support the
RPSS (Routing Policy System Security - RFC2725).  RIPE supports this,
I know.  Will the ARIN improvements include support for RPSS?

The presentation talked about the RPKI pilot, and Mark said that
ARIN would be using the RIPE code.  I believe RIPE has or had a couple
different attempts at this, so I'm not sure what features the code
you use will have.  Will you have the ability to hand certs to ISPs
so that they can do their own cert generation for the allocations
they hand to their own customers?  I.e., is ARIN going to run a
service just for its members, or will it enable its members to
participate in the RPKI themselves?

--Sandy