WISP NMS recommendations

Patrick Shoemaker shoemakerp at vectordatasystems.com
Thu Jun 18 13:21:56 UTC 2009

Although this would probably be better suited for one of the WISPA
lists, I'll respond here anyhow since there seems to be some interest.

For managing Canopy elements, Motorola Prizm is probably the way to go.
First of all, you'll need it to handle element authentication for your
PtMP system. It will also do configuration management, alerting, and all
the usual NMS stuff. It's also *possible* to get it to work with other
SNMP capable devices if you want to manage other vendors' equipment. It
will work out of the box with the Canopy PtMP line, PtP devices,
powerline carrier devices, and (I think) the MotoMESH line. It gives you
all the info you need at a glance for each element: configuration
history, RF power level plots, bandwidth utilization plots, alert
history, etc.

FYI if you haven't used it, Prizm is a pretty clunky and slow Java-based
package. The features are nice, but configuring it can be a chore.

Patrick Shoemaker
Vector Data Systems LLC
shoemakerp at vectordatasystems.com
office: (301) 358-1690 x36