Verio taking twitter down during Iran Election Riots?

Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Tue Jun 16 15:55:10 UTC 2009

On Jun 16, 2009, at 10:48 AM, Jack Bates wrote:

> Erik Fichtner wrote:
>> And yet, all upgrades can be postponed with the right... motivation.
>

> Hmmm, you do know that motivation may have strictly been, "Your
> maintenance corresponds with a major event, can you put it off for a
> day?"
>
> The maintenance in question has obviously been marked critical by
> NTTA with what appears to be short notification and limiting the
> delay to a minimum. They may have been unaware of the event and its
> importance to their customers.
>
> I'm more curious about what maintenance they are actually
> performing. I know they run mixed Cisco/Juniper, and all their
> Junipers should be able to handle in service upgrades. Of course,
> even switching hits of an upgrade warrants setting a maintenance
> window and notification due to Murphy.

Tehran is currently UTC/GMT +4:30 hours. The current downtime is for
2:00 PM Pacific, or 1:30 AM in
Tehran. That seems to be unfortunately still "prime time" for the
nightly demonstrations, one of which is
going on now.

If the idea is to avoid such collisions, 5:00 PM or even 6:00 PM PDT
would probably be better.

Regards
Marshall