Traffic billing - L2 encap to include or not?

Renaud RAKOTOMALALA renaud at rakotomalala.com
Fri Jun 12 13:48:37 UTC 2009

Weber, Markus a écrit :
> We all have our billing systems for traffic (bought, downloaded or
> home made, volume based or usage).  We all got hit by fancy SNMP
> bugs of various vendors and we all suffer from the fact, that SNMP
> counters do not carry a time stamp, when they had been taken from
> the ASICs, causing a slight derivation. [...]
>
> [../..]
> So, is L2 encapsulation (e.g. Ethernet) considered as framing characters
> or not?
> [../..]

Hello,

To my point of view, if you base your billing from L2 encapsulation you
gonna bill your customers on local networks problems like, problems on
L2 frames, padding (as you explain).

These kind of problematic (again to my point of view) is the problem of
the provider and not of the customer who buy IP traffic and not L2 traffic.

Renaud