Any2 Exchange experiences to share?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Jun 11 18:32:19 UTC 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 3:56 AM, Michael J McCafferty wrote:

> 	I am interested to hear any experiences with the Any2 Exchange at
> One Wilshire Blvd, especially regarding performance and reliability
> to the other exchange participants in comparison to routing to the
> same networks via Tier 1 transit providers.
>        We are in San Diego and have easy access to the exchange via
> transport offered by our data center facility who does have physical
> presence at OWB, but *we* are not physically in OWB, ~4.5ms away and
> some $ for transport to OWB. All things considered, the cost will be
> about the same to route via Tier 1 transit providers from San Diego
> as it will be to transport to OWB to the exchange. The basic
> question is, "Does it improve my network enough to connect to the
> exchange?"

If it's cost neutral, I'd go with peering.

Additional vectors / choices are always useful.  Plus as your network
grows, you will get a cost benefit from the peering as that is fixed-
cost.  (Actually a step function as you upgrade, but you get the point.)

Any2 runs a fine IX.  Very few problems.  OWB has had some issues with
power in the past, but I think (hope) they are all resolved.

--
TTFN,
patrick