Eye protection in DWDM systems -- what threshold?

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Tue Jun 9 22:17:05 UTC 2009

> On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 04:06:58PM -0400, Deepak Jain wrote:
>> This conversation has gone places I didn't expect. Leo, that card is
>> pretty cool, but for a few hundred $$ more, you can get a light meter
>> (if someone is smart enough to use the card...)

In a pinch the camera on a MacBook pro can be used to detect
presence of IR light.  Here's light from a 10Gbase-LR xenpak:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/kl/Macbook/macbook-laser-camera.jpg

It's easier to see when previewing in real time than
in the static picture but it does require careful aim.

- Kevin