Eye protection in DWDM systems -- what threshold?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Jun 9 18:21:46 UTC 2009

On Jun 9, 2009, at 2:06 PM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:43:09PM -0400, Jeff Kell wrote:
>> Reminds me of the old warning/attention sign over a termination
>> rack...
>>
>>  WARNING:  Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
>
> The only problem with those funny signs is they scare remote hands
> techs
> into never looking at a fiber because they don't want to try and
> understand the difference between a SX GBIC and a class 3 ultra
> longhaul
> amp.

Honestly, that is probably better.  Kinda like never pointing a gun at
anyone, whether you think it is loaded or not.

Put another way: I don't trust many H&E techs to know the difference
between an SX GBIC and a Buck Rogers Laser Cannon.

Besides, lots of lasers these days are infrared, so you can't see them
anyway.  (Hence the "last thing you never saw" comment.)

--
TTFN,
patrick