Fiber cut - response in seconds?

Dave Wilson richard.wilson at senokian.com
Tue Jun 2 12:50:15 UTC 2009

Charles Wyble wrote:
> I do feel this might be the last post from Mr Pooser. :)
>
> Your on to them it seems. ;)
>
> A very interesting idea. I imagine it wouldn't be hard for foreign
> actors to get access to the data feed of construction, observe for signs
> of a cut and then  splice in a tap.
>
> Though wouldn't that tap be found via the real response team?

No. And here's why: If you're a naughty foreign intelligence team, and
you know your stuff, you already know where some of the cables you'd
really like a tap on are buried. When you hear of a construction project
that might damage one, you set up your innocuous white panel truck
somewhere else, near a suitable manhole. When the construction guy with
a backhoe chops the cable (and you may well slip him some money to do
so), *then* you put your tap in, elsewhere, with your actions covered by
the downtime at the construction site. That's why the guys in the SUVs
are in such a hurry, because they want to close the window of time in
which someone can be tapping the cable elsewhere.

At least that's what I heard. I read it somewhere on the internet.
Definitely. Not at all a sneaky person. No sir.

Dave W

At least I'm in Britain. *Slightly* harder for the NSA to make me
disappear ;-)