Data Center QoS equipment breaking http 1.1?

up at 3.am up at 3.am
Fri Jul 31 21:25:23 UTC 2009

Sorry if this is a little OT, but we're seeing a serious problem and was
wondering if it is what I think it is.

In short: I have been moving services off of our servers in a data center
onto a server at eSecuredata, who rents dedicated servers.  The idea is to
lower costs and eliminate having to deal with hardware.

The advertise "unmetered bandwidth", but mention QoS measure to control
"bandwidth hogs".

One of my customers, whose site I just moved from a unique IP virtual host
on my old server onto an Apache NameVirtualHost on the new one, worked
fine at first.  Then today, they started complaining about getting one of
our home pages.  I figured DNS or web caching issues, until I started
seeing it for myself.  It was no caching issue, it was NameVirtualHost
breaking.

I poured over my configs (I've done this config countless times), and saw
this in the apache docs:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/name-based.html

" Some operating systems and network equipment implement bandwidth
management techniques that cannot differentiate between hosts unless they
are on separate IP addresses."

So, I installed lynx on the server, and sure enough, it worked perfectly
fine there, just not from anywhere outside eSecuredata's network that I
could see.

Can anyone shed any light on this particular practice, of this company in
particular?

thanks

up at 3.am							    http://3.am