Ahoy, SLA boffins!

William Herrin herrin-nanog at dirtside.com
Wed Jul 29 20:38:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 4:19 PM, JC Dill<jcdill.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> William Herrin wrote:
>> The SLA's I've looked at promise me that if their service is hard down
>> for a week (with no ambiguity whatsoever) they'll credit my bill for
>> upwards of 2% of the $50k/year or so I spend on the Internet
>> connection for my mutli-million dollar online service.

> An SLA comes into play when a service is degraded below the quality you
> contracted for.  What credit do they give you when you have 168 hours of
> degraded service, e.g. 50% of the service level you specified in your RFQ?
>  That's where your SLA comes in.  The SLA specifies at what point your
> service is considered "degraded" (how much below the contracted service
> level, and how long of a time period is required before it is considered
> below grade) and what $credit you may receive when you are provided some
> service, but not to the level specified in your contract.

Hi JC,

Perhaps you miss my point: what the ISP is offering to pay me as a
result of a failure to deliver adequate service is so much less than
my loss for the same as to render the payment meaningless. I'm gonna
terminate the contract for nonperformance and hire someone who can get
the job done long before its worth my time to chase you for an
SLA-based service credit. And we both know it. The only way I ever
chase you for an SLA credit is I'm playing the blame game instead of
doing my job for my customers.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004