Need help with performance troubleshooting

Rick Ernst nanog at shreddedmail.com
Tue Jul 28 15:25:28 UTC 2009

Starting about a week ago, I've had sporadic reports of "slow uploads"
(hundreds of kbs, has been 10s of mbs) born out by multiple speed test sites
and application results and also duplicated internally.  Downloads are >
50Mbs as expected (OC-3 and GigE uplinks to ATT/UUNET/Level3/Sprint/Qwest,
etc).

It "feels" like the commonality is Seattle, but I haven't been able to find
anything conclusive. I'm also not seeing anything interesting in my network
as far as CPU, utiliation, interface errors, etc.

Hopefully not DoSing myself; I'd like to get some external visibility from
"the other direction"; can I get results against our speedtest server (
http://speedtest.easystreet.com) along with traceroute results and
geographic origin of the test? Note that traceroute won't make it all the
way through due to some RFC addressing and firewall rules.

Thanks,
Rick