AT&T. Layer 6-8 needed.

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Mon Jul 27 21:25:43 UTC 2009

I'm not a lawyer either, but I know how ISPs are regulated in the US. The
actual framework is the FCC's "Internet Policy Statement," to wit:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-151A1.pdf

. To encourage broadband deployment and preserve and promote the open and
interconnected
nature of the public Internet, consumers are entitled to access the lawful
Internet content of
their choice.
. To encourage broadband deployment and preserve and promote the open and
interconnected
nature of the public Internet, consumers are entitled to run applications
and use services of their
choice, subject to the needs of law enforcement.
. To encourage broadband deployment and preserve and promote the open and
interconnected
nature of the public Internet, consumers are entitled to connect their
choice of legal devices that
do not harm the network.13
. To encourage broadband deployment and preserve and promote the open and
interconnected
nature of the public Internet, consumers are entitled to competition among
network providers,
application and service providers, and content providers.14

All of this is subject to a "reasonable network management" exception. There
is some disagreement about what consitututes "reasonable network management"
at the fringes, but the FCC is on record that spam killing and DDOS attack
mitigation are "reasonable." Some people want to add a fifth
"non-discrimination" rule.

In the case of the ISPs and carriers who blocked access to 4chan for a while
Sunday, since that was done in accordance with DDOS mitigation, there's not
any issue as far as the FCC is concerned, but that hasn't prevented the
usual parties from complaining about censorship, etc.

Richard Bennett