Recommendations for Hong Kong datacenter, and a sanity check for my geopolitical conclusions ?

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Sat Jul 25 18:46:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, George Sanders wrote:

When comparing, I would think you need to compare HKIX vs SOX and see
which IX gives you better overall peering and connectivity for that area.

-Hank

I will be expanding a small network infrastructure service (read: DNS and mail ... a few 1u and 2u servers) to Hong Kong next year.

We don't have any particular customer base in Hong Kong - rather, we have customers all over southeast asia and would like to serve them better, as well as attract more SE Asia customers.

I chose Hong Kong for the following reasons:

- South Korea is alternately happy with / upset with Japan, and I don't want to deal with that

- Japan is is alternately happy with / upset with South Korea, and I don't want to deal with that

- Mainland China is out of the question, for obvious reasons

- The smaller (Thailand, Vietnamese, Phillipines, etc.) countries all have their own particular issues (recent coup in Thailand, etc.)

So the choice came down to Hong Kong or Singapore, and I chose Hong Kong because it seems easier to "just get things done" there.  I realize that in the long term there is a greater risk of social paradigm shift in Hong Kong because of mainland China, but in the short run it seems that Hong Kong is more "functional" than Singapore.

Any comments on the above thought process ?

The obvious follow-up is, which datacenter ?

I need a full service center that will give me rackspace and let me just plug ethernet into their switch.  I am not interested in brokering my own connectivity, nor am I interested in running my own routers.  I want to pay one bill to one organization and get one cable.  The end.

I think there are further considerations though ... I read details of one very modern, very sexy datacenter housed in a skyscraper, but my research showed me that this building has been built on land reclaimed from the sea, and there is reasonable concern that the sand underpinnings could liquify, to a degree, in a seismic event.  I'd also like to be more than a few feet above sea level.  Honestly, as sexy as it would be to be in a slick tower right on the bay in Central Hong Kong, I would much rather find some nondescript, one story building, miles from the coast and a few hundred feet above sea level.

What recommendations might someone have ?

Thank you very much for any comments or suggestions you may have.