What else shall we test?

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Thu Jul 23 18:19:50 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

I would suggest testing:

throughput with 64 byte packets
throughput with 1500 byte packets
a distribution of whatever you deem an imix to be ... 64, 128, 512,
1500 with a Poisson distribution.
throughput of periodic packet stream when the control plane is being
affected (ie. either icmp to router, TTL expired, or some router alert
option)
max prefixes
number of lost packets when fiber is pulled to one of the
"uplinks" ... to determine the convergence time.
you can send 1000 packets per second and loop the receive back to the
test unit so you can track how many milliseconds of packet loss.
IPv6 throughput
number of filters / ACLs applied ... and throughput when these ACLs
are applied.
number of supported mac filters
Apply a filter to the control plane and then attack port 179 .. see
how the BGP sessions hold up.
saturate a GE card with transit traffic and see if the network control
packets suffer any loss (ie. session drop, retransmit, etc)

Kind regards,
Truman Boyes