Open Source / Low Cost NMS for Server Hardware / Application Monitoring

Erik Amundson Erik.Amundson at oati.net
Wed Jul 22 19:47:59 UTC 2009

We've been using Ipswitch WhatsUp Gold for many years.  Their recent improvements to the product have been mainly system monitoring stuff.

The product has grown in capabilities hugely since version 4 when we started with them (they are on version 12 now), and with that improvement in capabilities, the price has gone up a bit.  It's still a whole lot less than most other options, however.

There isn't too much in the way of agents, but we've integrated a ton of proprietary systems with WhatsUp Gold via it's SQL database back-end.

They also have fully scriptable monitoring as a standard feature now.

Anyways, thought I'd put in my two cents...

- Erik