What Platform for a small ISP (was: Cisco 7600 (7609) as a core BGP router)

David Storandt dstorandt at teljet.com
Wed Jul 22 18:43:08 UTC 2009

Why are you a "small start-up" and needing 600M-1G of pipe, and from
3x carriers? You can't use 150-200M via GigE ports and scale as needed
(assuming you aren't bound to a SONET loop)?

We started our IP backbone in 2005 with 3x 300M connections on
6509/maxed-Sup2s with 85% BGP tables and 6516-GBIC blades. All of our
drops were GBE or 10/100, no SONET, no fancy stuff. 3x nodes meshed.
Redundancy was our only mandatory requirement. Everything worked well,
until we started getting more sophisticated. This setup now could run
$5-6k/node if you shop around.

Since then, prices have dropped on more powerful stuff and persistent
EOL progression, so if you can pull off funds for Sup720-3BXL engines,
you've got options for 10G, IP6, MPLS, and full tables from day one,
although 10G ports are not cheap (for a shoestring one, at least). I
would consider Sup720-3Bs as a minimum for that platform, considering
EOL and features.

-D