What is good in modular routers these days?

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Jul 21 02:31:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009, William Pitcock wrote:

> I don't need any of that stuff, just BGP, OSPF and fast packet
> forwarding for IPv4.  But the point is that I need only routing
> functionality, I don't need switching functionality like on a Cisco
> 6500-class system.

I bet if you went and spoke to the right people in the correct
open source kernel/distribution project, -given the right clue-,
very fast forwarding and QoS could start appearing in *NIX OSes.

The problem I see is there's a lot of demand -once it is done-, but
no one org or group willing to pony up to see it happen.

The clue is out there. They're just looking for a way to pay the
rent.

Adrian

(Not looking to do this, I have enough going on atm..)