What is good in modular routers these days?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Jul 20 02:45:17 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009, William Pitcock wrote:

> I'm looking for a Cisco 2600-like platform, except with the capability
> of routing with gigabit and 10gigabit linecards (and not being EOL, of
> course).  Ideally it would be capable of doing full BGP tables in the
> supervision engine, although that isn't necessarily a show stopper right
> now.  Lack of IPv6 support, however, is.

There are no CPU based routers with proper 10GE forwarding capabilities
that I am aware of, closest would be network processor based (which some
might argue is a lot of CPUs in some cases, but it's not a 2600 type CPU
anyway).

Single-thread CPU just isn't fast enough to handle the PPS involved
(currently).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se