Cisco 7600 (7609) as a core BGP router.

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Jul 18 10:43:56 UTC 2009

On (2009-07-18 15:58 +0700), Roland Dobbins wrote:

> uRPF for 7600/6500 can only be in one mode for the whole box, all
> interfaces.  This is a major problem in many cases.

I referred to this as 'chassis wide uRPF'. I'm not sure if that is big
issue in many networks. You run uRPF/strict to single homed customer and
uRPF/loose to transit/peering. Often networks already have dedicated
peering boxes.
I'm not sure, but I believe technically PXF (ES20, SIP600) and EZchip (ES+)
should have no trouble doing uRPF, so I think it's just software
development issue, that even with these cards, you're bound to this
limitation.

>From my point of view, as long you can live with LAN cards in 7600 is has
excellent bang for buck, with really no competing products out there. But
the moment you need to terminate multiple customers to single port and
provide QoS (which implies H-QoS) the box has several attractive
competitors, most of them are even newer generation, such as MX.

--
  ++ytti