Using CE Router for Internet and VPN services

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Jul 17 12:56:13 UTC 2009

Akhmedd Aly wrote:
> Please describe all benefits and detriments of using more than /30
> subnet on SP PE.
> Some good links will be very useful for me.

Don't know all, but have you see the arp tables on a PE router? Have you
seen some of the crazy things devices other than routers can do on
ethernet? There are many advantages to CE routers. SP controlled CEs
take it even further in managing demarcation, other services, and
offloading of any service level restrictions to the CE.

Also, I believe on ethernet, some SPs do layer 2 level security and
filtering which is made easier when only 1 MAC per CE.

Jack