Quick question about inbound route-selection

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Thu Jul 16 13:45:24 UTC 2009

Howdy,

Keep in mind I am basing this 'idea' off of fixed orbit's data which can sometimes be a bit out of date, etc.

(in theory, and based upon number of peers, data): If you have a network with these upstream connections to the Internet you should see inbound traffic utilization in this order:

AS   Name
---------
3356 Level3
7018 ATT
3549 Global Crossing
4323 Time Warner Telecom
10796 TimeWarnerCable/RR

I am trying to determine why I am seeing it in this order:

3356 Level3
4323 Time Warner Telecom
3549 Global Crossing
10796 TimeWarnerCable/RR
7018 ATT

I suppose there is a certain level of convergence where these providers inter-connect, and also the source network of the traffic plays a big part of it, i.e. if most of the sources are directly connected to Level3, etc.

I am mainly wondering why 7018 sends us such a little amount compared to even 10796.

Also, with the providers already connected, if we added a new one, which one would (in your opinion) benefit us the most on spreading the inbound traffic out better?

I realize that we can use communities, and prepends to control the inbound flow, I am just speaking from a purely natural standpoint.

thanks,
-Drew