The actual value, from a security standpoint, of using a proxy domain registrar?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jul 16 02:27:28 UTC 2009

In message <1b5c1c150907151452k52093694mc8b93538b4707f87 at mail.gmail.com>, Mike
Lyon writes:
> Howdy,
>
> I am curious what others in the industry think on this topic. When one
> registers a domain they can put in their real information or they can use a
> proxy, like Go-Daddy's Domains By Proxy.
>
> Now, personally, I would prefer just to get a PO Box and put that address on
> my domain info instead of doing a proxy. I could also put down a phone
> number in the registration that just goes to my general business phone line
> which is just a DVR.
>
> So the question I have is this: What actual security are these proxy
> companies providing to the end-user?  My company website has my real
> address, my real phone number, exec bio's and pictures of them yet upper
> management (and our marketing company) think using a proxy is a good thing.
>
> What's the difference between using a proxy vs using a PO Box except that a
> PO Box is cheaper?
>
> I'd just like to get thoughts from others to see what the general feeling is
> on this topic.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

	The whois is for when you stuff up you DNS / WEB etc.  There
	are lots of errors which are not visible except from a
	iterative resolver.  The contacts should be reachable easily
	from anywhere in the world.  They should be kept up to date.
	I don't know how often I've attempted to report a operational
	problem with DNS servers and delegations just to have the
	email bounce due to the data being out of date.

	Proxy services just add yet another layer that can go wrong.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org