The actual value, from a security standpoint, of using a proxy domain registrar?

Ray Sanders Ray.Sanders at VillageVoiceMedia.com
Wed Jul 15 22:13:26 UTC 2009

My opinion is that it's nothing more than a "value-add" for domain
registrars.  The domain registration fees these days have razor thin
margins. So places like Godaddy and others offer these services to make
up for their domains essentially being "loss-leaders".

A lot of these places use scare tactics to convince domain buyers that
"privacy" is essential, otherwise one would get spam, telemarketing
calls and junk mail.

Well, that's partly true, as some companies do scrape whois data.

So does maintaining a P.O box, a phone number that goes direct to voice
mail, as well as a separate "junk mail" email account cost you less than
about $20 a year?   I'm not sure, but having your number on the do not
call list (if you are in the U.S) is free, receiving junk mail doesn't
cost anything and neither does a hotmail/yahoo/gmail account.

So, to get to my point, from a "security" standpoint my opinion is that
domain "privacy" is of as much benefit as hiding under the covers of my
bed if an attacker breaks into my home.

--
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr