Swedish bittorrent dropped 40Gbps with an EU law? (DCMA -like)

Charlie Allom charlie at playlouder.com
Wed Jul 15 11:29:22 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am interested in a claim made[1] that with the implementation of
EU Directive 2004/48/EC [2] that Swedish traffic dropped 40Gb/s:

http://stats.autonomica.se/mrtg/sums/All.html

Could this really mean that everyone in Sweden just 'turned off their
bittorrent clients' on the 1st of April? It seems to me that its more
likely a large peer has pulled out or closed a service.

Does anyone have some interesting ideas on where to get a more balanced
view on where that traffic went on the 1st of April?

If you look at AMS-IX and LINX, there is a dip - but its hard to see from
so high up.
https://stats.linx.net/cgi-pub/aggregate-year
https://www.ams-ix.net/technical/stats/cgi-bin/16all?log=totalall;png=yearly

Perhaps also there is a cultural difference with Swedes being more
prone to follow the law? Like a speed camera effect.

What do people think?

1. http://www.swedishwire.com/business/506-illegal-filesharing-dives-in-sweden
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directive_on_the_enforcement_of_intellectual_property_rights

--