Can someone from SORBS contact me offlist?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sat Jul 11 21:58:23 UTC 2009

On Jul 11, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Brielle Bruns wrote:

> Further, there is such thing as a local whitelist of IP addresses.

Easier to just not use the BL.

>> Besides, there are plenty of useful blacklists with very low FP rates
>> who are responsive.  Why use one that has high FP and is
>> unresponsive?
>
> *shrugs*  Thats up to you.  I never held a gun to your head telling
> you to use the AHBL.

See we completely agree!

>> Running a blacklist sucks.  It's got to be one of the hardest jobs
>> for a
>> white-hat to do on the 'Net.  But if you don't like it, don't do it.
>> Doing it then complaining about it after is .. silly.
>
> I'm not complaining.  People talk shit about Michelle, and yes, I
> will get involved.  She's a friend of mine, and a fellow DNSbl
> maintainer.

Michelle has tried very hard to do some good thing.  She has succeed
at some of them.

She has failed miserably at others.  To the point where there are many
people who believe she has done more harm than good.

I am on the fence about her overall utility to the 'Net.  I tend to
believe the balance is more good than bad, if for no other reason than
she raised awareness of the issue.  But I could not argue strongly
against those who believe otherwise, especially those who have been
forced to pay to get delisted.

I strongly recommend _against_ using SORBS.  I've never used your BL,
but given the ambiguity of your responses ("it takes two weeks ..
uh .. unless you call me out about it on a public mailing list"), I'm
inclined to never use it.  Which is fine with you, so hopefully that
makes us both happy.

If you call that talking shit, bring it on.  Being a DNSBL maintainer
does not make you immune to factually correct criticism.

--
TTFN,
patrick

P.S. Anyone looking to find a good DNSBL, I would recommend Al
Iverson's web page, <http://www.dnsbl.com/>.  Hrmmm, AHBL is not
listed there.  Al's pretty clueful about such things and checks all
the major BLs in use.  Did you ask him not to rate your service?