BGP Growth projections

Adam Rothschild asr+nanog at latency.net
Fri Jul 10 21:40:44 UTC 2009

On 2009-07-10-12:42:24, Mark Radabaugh <mark at amplex.net> wrote:
[...]
> What projections are you using regarding the default free zone over the
> next 5 years when picking new hardware?

Geoff Huston, et al provide some useful trending:

  http://bgp.potaroo.net/index-bgp.html

With that said, I've been treating hardware forwarding of 1MM v4
prefixes (or equivalent CAM carving of v6, MPLS, ...) as a minimum
requirement for Internet-facing routers with a five-year shelf life.

Platforms claiming in the 500-600k range seem prohibitive just
tracking current v4 prefix growth, and moreso as v6 adaptation
increases and end-users begin to realize that v4 and v6 routing is
fundamentally the same, and begin to de-aggregate/advertise v6 space
just like they do v4...

-a