Point to Point Ethernet

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Jul 9 21:09:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009, Zartash Uzmi wrote:

> Can you say why precisely the cost of Ethernet is low compared to other
> viable alternatives?

The components going into ethernet devices are cheaper because of high
volume, but it's also that the SONET/SDH stuff is grossly overpriced
"because we can" by short sighted vendors. There are cheap ethernet ports
for cheap platforms, there are basically no cheap SONET/SDH ports
anywhere.

POS is technically better compared to Ethernet for carrier links imho, but
for instance Cisco price their SPA-TENGE-XFP at 1/6 the cost of
SPA-OC192-XFP.

I know quite a lot of people who would gladly pay more for POS, but not
that much more.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se