Drop in IPv6 traffic

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Jul 9 14:58:21 UTC 2009

On Jul 9, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> [..]
>> I ask because the AMS-IX is frequently used as an example that v6 is
>> being heavily adopted.  If it is all one source for one application,
>> that is important information to the people fighting for v6 adoption.
>> Going from peaks of 1.4 Gbps to 0.4 Gbps is impressive.  If that 0.4
>> Gbps still includes some of your traffic, it is very impressive.
>
> I thought it was well known that 99% of the Internet was for warez &
> p0rn....

As with many things, what is "well known" is factually incorrect. :)

YouTube, every Akamai customer, Yahoo!, other Google properties, etc.,
make up more than 1%, and none of those are pr0n or war3z.

> In the case of IPv6 (and mostly the reason why "normal people" sign up
> for Tunnel brokers), the most traffic is NNTP because of "free news
> servers" (google for it, you'll find loads of tutorials) oh and
> BitTorrent is also a nice hefty piece.
>
> I also though that this was already 'revealed' in several
> presentations
> where people actually looked at was going through their boxes.

I ask here because I have seen presentations at NANOG showing that v6
is growing and citing these graphs as evidence.  When asking /
commenting that most of that traffic is NNTP, I was told that was not
confirmed.

Guess I got my confirmation. :)

--
TTFN,