Drop in IPv6 traffic

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Jul 9 14:40:32 UTC 2009

Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
[..]
> I ask because the AMS-IX is frequently used as an example that v6 is
> being heavily adopted.  If it is all one source for one application,
> that is important information to the people fighting for v6 adoption.
> Going from peaks of 1.4 Gbps to 0.4 Gbps is impressive.  If that 0.4
> Gbps still includes some of your traffic, it is very impressive.

I thought it was well known that 99% of the Internet was for warez &
p0rn....

In the case of IPv6 (and mostly the reason why "normal people" sign up
for Tunnel brokers), the most traffic is NNTP because of "free news
servers" (google for it, you'll find loads of tutorials) oh and
BitTorrent is also a nice hefty piece.

I also though that this was already 'revealed' in several presentations
where people actually looked at was going through their boxes.

Fortunately there are also people who realize that IPv6 can be used for
connecting to all the boxes at home.

/me always wonders about:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/07/judge-throws-book-at-usenetcom-in-riaa-lawsuit.ars
when he sees ISPs selling basically a fast link to a NNTP server thoug

Greets,
 Jeroen