Point to Point Ethernet

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Jul 8 15:59:34 UTC 2009

> Speaking from a personal interest, has the Point-to-Point Protocol
> stopped being useful?
>
> After all, PPP over Sonet/SDH was specifically designed for just this case.

Absolutely, and it still works great for that purpose.

However, given a provider backbone with Ethernet being the underlying
technology, I don't see why anybody would want to use PPP on top of
Ethernet instead of just plain Ethernet. After all we're *not* talking
about DSL or dialup here, there's no need to authenticate users etc.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no