Point to Point Ethernet

Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Wed Jul 8 14:50:21 UTC 2009

On Jul 8, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, William Herrin wrote:
>
>> 1. What's the point of increasing the max MTU from 9000 to 9012? If
>> we want a higher MTU, why not just ask for one in the next standard?

 From what I have been told, IEEE 802 refuses to make a Jumbo frame
standard, for backwards compatibility reasons.

Joe St Sauver's jumbo frame site :

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/jumbo-clean-gear.html

shows what a mess this is. There isn't a standard now, and if you "ask
for one in the next standard" you may be in for a long wait.

> To me the only reason for this would be to lessen overhead on small
> packets. Also, afaik standard payload MTU is 1500 for ethernet,
> anything else is vendor extension, outside the standard.
>
> Ethernet overhead compared to HDLC is pretty big...
>
> --

Regards
Marshall
AmericaFree.TV