Point to Point Ethernet

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Wed Jul 8 14:35:07 UTC 2009

There are lots of great little cable testers that can "loop" an Ethernet
link or even blink the switchport (this one is copper only):
http://www.jdsu.com/products/communications-test-measurement/products/a-z-pr
oduct-list/lanscaper.html

The remote-triggered is harder, but there are a number of switches I have
seen that have some form of line testing built in, so that might be close to
a decent solution.  One example is the "Integrated Cable Test" and Optical
Transceiver Diagnostics in the Dell PowerConnect switches.

	-Scott