Using twitter as an outage notification

Benjamin Billon bbillon-nanog at splio.fr
Sun Jul 5 16:59:43 UTC 2009

I agree.
It seems (I didn't look for solid proofs of that) twitter went down when
MJ's die was revealed. I don't want to know why (not enough cloud
computing stuff?), but I still believe there is maybe not always an
ultimate solution to all problems.

Twitter and its friends may sometimes help, that's for sure. But at an
higher level, we don't need the info right here right now, we only want
the issues to be solved. Still meaning the DC/ISP/hosting company has to
keep a straight and up-to-date list of customers in order to contact
them directly if necessary (but this is not part of the problems'
resolution, this is commercial/relational matter), which I never saw in
real life.

Furthermore, I personnaly don't use Twitter and as few "social
networking whatever" websites as I can.

Ben