Using twitter as an outage notification

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Sun Jul 5 04:01:04 UTC 2009

[TLB:]
The whole point of Twitter is that it works with SMS.

>My point in another fork of this thread is that for most people, the
>traditional forms of communication are *it*.  I'm not saying that
>twitter
>hasn't been used and found a way to reach the some portion of the
>population
>-- the traditional methods (announcement at top of phone tree & note on
>homepage) should be maintained and as one more additional way to
>communication.  I think you mentioned that yourself a few posts ago. =)
>
>Frank

[TLB:] I think everyone agrees it's not an "Either/Or".

The argument that Twitter is a good, inexpensive, way to mass
communicate operational issues with those that are able to use it, is
kind of axiomatic.

I'm not, in general, a fan of Twitter. To me, twits are those in my
killfile (yes, I know they call it "tweets"), however, as a way of using
Other People's Money to reduce your OPEX while improving CSI, it seems
like a no-brainer to me.