Using twitter as an outage notification

Aleksandr Milewski n6mod at milewski.org
Sat Jul 4 21:10:20 UTC 2009

On 7/4/09 7:50 AM, Roland Perry wrote:

> What I'm trying to anticipate is the objection to *also* posting to
> Twitter, which might be raised on the grounds that it's too
> "unofficial", or "unsupported" or something like that.

Anecdotal, of course, but I found twitter to be very useful during the
SF Bay Area fiber cuts a few months back. I was able to fairly quickly
get reports of who was down (UnitedLayer) and who wasn't (everyone
else), and made some good contacts, some of whom I've done business with
since (Cernio).

Set up a twitter account for outage/event notifications, and don't
*ever* use it for marketing.