Using twitter as an outage notification (was: Fire, Power loss at Fisher Plaza in Seattle)

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Jul 4 15:07:52 UTC 2009

In article
<16720fe00907040747k67ca1206kb871420deb5e8163 at mail.gmail.com>, Jeffrey
Lyon <jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net> writes
>Personally, I find it difficult to take Twitter seriously. It seems
>like more of a kids toy than a business tool. Something like a
>blogspot account would make a lot more sense.

That's the kind of "marketing-led" response I was hoping to hear.

But the UK National Rail system now uses Tweets to tell customers about
disruptions on the trains, and several major UK government departments
and news organisations use it for announcements and "Breaking News".

So has it become "respectable" yet?
--
Roland Perry