Fire, Power loss at Fisher Plaza in Seattle

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Fri Jul 3 17:57:56 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Tomas L. Byrnes [mailto:tomb at byrneit.net]
Sent: Fri 7/3/2009 10:20 AM
To: David Hubbard; NANOG list
Subject: RE: Fire, Power loss at Fisher Plaza in Seattle

This begs the question of what basic parameters should be for a "carrier
hotel" or co-lo.

Given that we're getting designated "Critical Infrastructure", we'd
getter start coming up with some, or we'll have them defined for us.

----

I think the more important question is, "what do you consider redundancy?"  We have facilities in Plaza East (no down) and Plaza West (unaffected).  If you are critical infrastructure there is no amount of redundancy that you should offload onto a colo provider.  Instead, you build your redundancy across different data centers, different providers, different everything.  If you rely on a single provider for any of the aforementioned then you have built in at least one single point of failure, regardless of the resiliency of the underlying provider.

My .02, worth almost every penny.

Mike