Level 3 - "legacy" Wiltel/Looking Glass bandwidth

George Carey george at montco.net
Thu Jul 2 14:47:15 UTC 2009

As a Level 3 customer who had connectivity to some legacy Wiltel equipment I
can also attest that service levels were pretty bad following that merger.
We had a few memorable outages where escalations were necessary to get
things resolved and folks familiar with the equipment were hard to find. In
meeting with our account team we were able to get them to agree to roll us
off the old gear which was really inadequate anyway for the purpose which
happened to be an Option A MPLS NNI. It took them a long time to get that
done but since then I would say that service levels have returned to the
normal albeit somewhat less than desirable levels.

We have had relatively few problems with our vanilla transit connections
though. The same goes for some long haul that they inherited with the
Broadwing acquisition. There were some glitches with some of the fiber
grooming they did a while back but that seems to have passed.

I also seem to be receiving less maintenance notifications overall from
Level 3 as a general trend. Hope it continues.

George