inauguration streams review

Mike fobdfc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 16:29:09 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> * Adam Greene:
>
>> Hi, quick question ...
>>
>> Most people here said they saw most of the inauguration traffic on
>> TCP1935 to Limelight and UDP8247 to CNN. However, we were seeing it
>> simply as "http" traffic (i.e. port 80), which made it very difficult
>> to manage. Our inbound bandwidth was effectively maxed out for about 6
>> hours.
>
> 80/TCP is often used as fallback if the other methods fail to work.
> Have you got any filters on your network which might cause this?

This was our case. Websense blocked all the streaming protocols and
p2p by default.  It was difficult to isolate our legitimate business
traffic from the streaming content sine it was all port 80/TCP/HTTP.
Throughout the morning I was adding in streaming sites as they came
in.

We fared pretty well considering only one customer complaint and we
were able to maintain 92% utilization or internet bandwidth(one point
of saturation @ 98%).