expectations for bgp peering?

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at netcases.net
Wed Jan 21 16:39:19 UTC 2009

Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2009, at 8:17 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:
>
>> As for the "you're not allowed to prepend" thing, have you
>> experimented to see what happens if you try?  Unless they're giving
>> you special pricing based on the idea that they're providing you
>> with strictly backup transit, they shouldn't be doing the prepending
>> (unless you've asked them to or used communities to tell them to).
>
> See, this is why I like NANOG.  Many eyes see things one pair does not.
>
> Hadn't even occurred to me that they were giving you special "backup
> transit only" pricing.  In that case, makes perfect sense to force
> multiple prepends on their side.

Good insight, Patrick. If I might suggest a point or two, it's that
there's more than one "expectation" here, or perhaps should be:

1. Expectation on protocol/policy behavior
2. Expectation on service delivery and economics

If breaking #1 doesn't break the basic functionality, but does achieve
something under #2, it's worth clarifying. If #1 doesn't improve #2,
there's a legitimate gripe.

Means and ends aren't always locked together.