"Smart" hands around Dulles airport / northern VA.

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Jan 16 22:19:43 UTC 2009

Hi all,

This is a mail that I have been meaning to send ever since I moved
back to the NoVA area, but have only gotten around to now...

Many years ago I used to provide emergency, smart hands type
assistance to those in need, but had to give this up when I moved out
of the area. Anyway, I'm back and am willing to start doing this
again....

This is primarily for those cases where you would normally have to fly
someone out to have them replace a line-card or two, hook up a few
cables, maybe swap a disk in an array, etc. This is not for those
cases where you simple need someone to push the reset button, nor for
rebuilding your entire cage from scratch...

Anyway, if you have gear here and think that you might need to take me
up on this, drop me a mail and I'll give you my direct contact info...

If you like this idea, and are willing to also provide this sort of
thing to the community (either in this, or in another area), please
let me know -- I'll look into setting up a website / mailing list /
something...

Important disclaimers and limitations:
1: I do not want (nor may I accept) any compensation for this, other
than good-will and a hope that you might help out someone else in need
(AKA, I miss the days when this industry was more co-operative).
2: $day_job comes first.
3: If you are a competitor of $day_job you are probably out of luck.
4: If you wants me to plug in a new device, its your responsibility to
make sure that you have sufficient power.
5: If you are a shady spammer, don't bother...

FAQ:
Q: What!  Are you crazy? I'd never let a stranger into my cage!