Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Jan 13 18:27:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> How can anyone seriously argue the ASN owner is somehow wrong and keep
> a straight face?  How can anyone else who actually runs a network not
> see that as ridiculous?

Speaking purely as an outsider who hasn't had to pull such jack moves
with his tiny corner of the world these days, I've frequently seen people
pull exactly these jack moves for Traffic Engineering.

So either they're not talking and wish to remain nameless, or they're
talking and being hypocritical. But they do exist, and I'm pretty sure
they see it as another way of "hacking" the routing system to achieve
goals the original implementors didn't explicitly define, but have
operational relevance today.

But they're out there, injecting routes to peers to control traffic.
I remember the first time I saw it and said "uhm wtf?" followed by
"evil but clever." Much like other BGP tricks. :)

(Ah, how the internet seems to have grown up. Sniff.)

Adrian