Ethical DDoS drone network

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Wed Jan 7 01:48:16 UTC 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Edward B. DREGER wrote:

> Even when a system is highly deterministic, such as a database, one
> still expects _real-world_ testing.  Traffic flows on large networks
> are
> highly stochastic... and this includes OPNs, which I posit are
> futile to
> attempt to model.

Sure.

In many cases, it seems that there's a lot of talk about testing,
after-the-fact, with relatively little analysis performed prior-to-the-
fact to inform the design, including baseline security requirements.
When one has a network/system in which the basic security BCPs haven't
been implemented, it makes little sense to expend scarce resources
testing when those resources could be better-employed hardening and
increasing the resiliency and robustness of said network/system.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // +852.9133.2844 mobile

      All behavior is economic in motivation and/or consequence.