DPI or Flow Management

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Sat Feb 28 22:02:19 UTC 2009

Francois Menard wrote:
> The Coalition of Internet Service Providers has filed a substantial
> contribution at the CRTC stating:
>
> 1) The CRTC should forbid DPI, as it cannot be proven to be 98.5%
> effective at trapping P2P, such as to guarantee congestion relief
>
> 2) The CRTC should allow for other forms of traffic management by ISPs,
> such as Flow Management
>
> http://www.crtc.gc.ca/public/partvii/2008/8646/c12_200815400/1029835.zip
>
> This is part of the public record at the following address:
>
> http://www.crtc.gc.ca/PartVII/eng/2008/8646/c12_200815400.htm
>
> The world will see Canada taking head-on the issue of addressing the
> legitimacy of DEEP PACKET INSPECTION as a mean of properly managing an
> incumbent's network behind the unbundling/peering interface.
>
> NANOG cannot pretend that this debate does not take place and remain
> silent on this.

Francios;

Are you responding directly to my post via an automated filter, or am I
the only one seeing the hijacking of this thread?

Either way, great! I thought that I'd state that I forgot to mention in
my original post that I was considering running HSRP (vrrp) on my core
routers, for the access-layer clients who are not multi-homed.

Given my setup, does RFC3768 at the 'core' make sense?

Steve