Documentation of switch maps

Blake Pfankuch bpfankuch at cpgreeley.com
Thu Feb 26 19:01:18 UTC 2009

Howdy.

Had a customer come to me this morning who wanted to create a document for their switching infrastructure and thought I would bounce it off the rest of the world on how you usually do this.  Typically I use a spreadsheet with outlines to define the "switch" and then outlines for the ports and color coding for vlan's as well as a description of the port.  Curious what other people are doing, as this would be a huge undertaking for a customer who is using an entire /19 of rfc 1918 ip addresses and has well over 150 switches and 40 active vlans.  The want to be able to look at this document and pull up any switch and look at the port and be able to see what vlan the port is on, as well as what device it is connected to as well as port channel membership, trunks and other fun things like that.  Needless to say their documentation is lacking on the physical connectivity however their cisco infrastructure does have labels on every port that goes to a named device outside of the DHCP pools.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Blake Pfankuch