Yahoo and their mail filters..

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Wed Feb 25 20:28:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Peter Beckman <beckman at angryox.com> wrote:
>>  Why the hell can't AOL integrate the standard listserv commands integrated
>>  into many subscription emails into a friggin' button in their email
>>  client, right next to "Spam" (or even in place of it) that says
>>  "Unsubscribe?"
>
> Because a lot of spammers would prefer that people simply unsub from
> their lists rather than they get blocked?
>
> And because unsub urls could lead to a lot of nastiness if theres a
> truly malicious spammer?
>
> And because .. [lots of other reasons]
>
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Peter Beckman ALSO wrote:
>> I realize it could be used badly if globalized, but if AOL got off their
>> duff and vetted some of the higher volume truly honest subscription
>> emailers and allowed their emails to activate the Spam->Unsub button, it
>> might save everyone some headaches.

  As I said (but you clipped), the suggestion could (and would likely) be
  abused if turned on globally, but if AOL vetted some of the more popular
  subscription mailings where people were clicking spam rather than
  unsubscribe for trusted sources, it could work.

> There are a few (sender driven) initiatives to move towards a trusted
> unsubscribe, but ..

  I think in order for an Unsubscribe button to be implemented by Gmail,
  Yahoo, AOL, etc, there would have to be some sort of internally reviewed
  list of trusted senders for which each company had a mail admin contact
  for (technical implementation not applicable for this discussion).

  Working together to communicate openly about subscription email with
  trusted parties would help (in theory) to reduce the effects of clueless
  end users who lazily click "Spam" and cause headaches for both senders and
  receivers of legitimate subscription email.

Beckman