slightly OT: wall mount UPS for demarc

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Feb 25 18:19:07 UTC 2009

Peter Pauly wrote:
> I'm looking to buy several small wall mounted UPS's to power a telco's
> metro ethernet switches. (Yes, they should have provided some kind of
> protection, but won't).
>
> The closest suitable UPS I've found is this:
>
> http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=419&EID=361&txtModelID=3640
>
> Can anyone suggest a better alternative?
>
> I want something sturdy, preferably metal, that can screw to a wall
> and be worry free for years at a time.

Any UPS will have batteries, probably sealed lead-acid for a small UPS.
  That is likely to negate "worry free for years at a time", especially
if wall-mounted in an unconditioned demarc/MPOE closet as opposed to a
temperature-controlled data center.

At a minimum, plan on an annual visit to do routine maintenance and load
test the batteries.  You'll be lucky to get more than three years of
service out of them.

A typical Chatsworth, etc. 19-inch rack shelf available in various
depths can be flipped around and screwed to a wall to support many of
the stand-alone UPSes.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net