Legislation and its effects in our world

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Wed Feb 25 15:58:33 UTC 2009

If it's at all like the EU Date Retention provisions, it would be in
the ISP, not the home router. The Danish want the moral equivalent of
a netflow trace for each user (log of the kind of information netflow
records for a session for each TCP/UDP/SCTP session the user initiates
or terminates, produced on presentation of a warrant or subpoena), but
the EU provisions are more application layer - when did the user "sign
on" to the wireless network, and when did "s/he sign off", to whom did
they send emails via the ISP's servers, and so on?

Without commenting on police states and such, instantiating
legislation is required in each country signatory to the Cybercrime
Treaty. Both major parties have been on deck during that discussion...