Charter.net email routing issues

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Tue Feb 24 08:02:13 UTC 2009

Meta: I'm one of the mailop list admins...

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 07:50 +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> Anybody actually on that list?  Most of the serious mailops work is on
> some other, entirely different lists.

There are almost 400 on the list now, and it grows with every single
mention here and on other lists.

The reason Andy created it was in response to the plethora of "any ISP
XYZ mail admins contact me off list" messages NANOG used to see, along
with several threads which some posters saw as non-operational.

I'd be very pleased to know about the other lists, especially as in
previous years I've always come up against brick walls - "you're not big
enough, go away" or "we don't know you, go away". Not especially
helpful, especially as the latter case would be resolved by allowing
more open subscription.

> And why do people have to think nanog is solely for packet pushing
> related ops?  Email is operational, and its often the first ops
> failure that your users notice, right after the ones that go "I cant
> get to my pr0n".

Email is operational, yes. But there are many on NANOG who feel that it
isn't, judging by the reaction in the past to long-running threads about
it.

Graeme